Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Monster Dash - Another 1/2 Marathon

Signed up for another 1/2. Yeah I know, I'm crazy. Most people train for their first and pretty much give up running for a while. Not me!! And really that was part of the reason why I signed up. I needed the motivation.

I also thought it would be fun. It's not the "Chicago Marathon" but it's still a 1/2 marathon in Chicago along the lakefront. Plus they have some pretty cool gear. The medal is oval shaped and doubles as a belt buckle (not that I'd EVER wear a belt buckle, I hardly wear belts!) and they are giving tech hoodies which are black with reflective striping and sleeves with holes for your thumbs. Way cooler than the cotton t-shirt I got for the Indy 1/2. Although this one cost me $75 plus $16 to park in the garage at Soldiers Field! I really need to plan for these races ahead of time because the later you wait to sign up, the more expensive they are. If you signed up for this race on Saturday, it costs $169! Really!? If I wanted to run 13 miles along the Chicago lakefront, I could do it for free some other weekend.

So tonight I pick up my race packet. My biggest fear as usual is the weather. The forecast did say sunny and 61 for Sunday but now it's saying 30% chance of rain. I already know it's going to be cold. The race starts at 8 in the morning so it will definitely be in the 40's at best and it's in chicago so I expect it to be somewhat windy but I can't do rain with wind in 40 degree weather. On the other hand, I don't know if I can stomach throwing away almost $100 on this and not at least attempting it. Fingers crossed!!

1 comment: