Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 1

So today I started the Ideal Protein program. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it's similar to Atkins but monitored by a doctor and better for you (at least that is the bill of goods I was sold). It doesn't matter to me at this point, I just want to see results!! It was suggested to me by a friend who has already lost 67 lbs on her own and she found it when she hit a plateau and now has lost 16 lbs in 4 weeks. Now those are my kind of numbers! I know, I know, I didn't gain back 50 lbs in a month and I know I won't lose it in a month but I live by instant gratification (which breeds disappointment and frustration thus leaving Seattle Sutton and Nutrisystem in the dust). The whole point of this program is to "reset" the pancreas so that it's not overproducing insulin. In a nutshell, if you are doing all you can to lose weight (eat right, exercise) and still not seeing results, it may be because your body is not using sugar like it should. Sugars include carbs and let me tell you, I never met a carb I didn't like. If your body was functioning normally, it would use the sugar you consumed to fuel your muscles. If not, then your body is storing all that sugar into fat. I'm obviously not a doctor but given some other things I've noticed about my how my body functions, I truly believe that my body is not using sugars properly in addition to my eating a high carb based diet.

So far I had the herb and egg mix for breakfast and 25 oz of water, a chocolate shake for my mid-morning snack (did I mention I am a chocolohoic) and just had my 2 cups of vegetables and a bowl of salad for lunch. I'm holding off on my packet of chicken soup for later which may be sooner rather than later. I have to admit, the food is actually decent! My biggest challenge will be discipline. I'm all excited now because it's new but just like a new pair of shoes, eventually the newness wears off. But I am determined to make this work. I realize that I should have done this in the winter so that I can have that rockin body for summer (HA! yeah right) but at this point it's better now than never. I've come to a point in my life where I have to start worrying about my health just as much as my vanity. Every single one of my Dad's brothers and sisters (total of 8) had diabetes after the age of 40. That was not the future I wanted for myself.

Because I feel in my heart and soul that I am going to beat the system (i.e. my lack of willpower) and reach my goal and KEEP IT OFF this time that I wanted to document my journey. I realize that the topic of weight loss and the struggles with it is very common. I just want to be able to look back and never forget how hard I worked to get to where I am. So let the journey begin!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment